Frequently asked questions
- Do I need to buy an instrument before starting lessons?
- You will need something to practice on from day one.
- An amplifier is not essential to start, but should be considered within the first year.
- Am I ready for a full-size instrument?
- Full-size basses have a 34" scale length, that is, the vibrating length of the strings.
- Short scale basses of 30" are much kinder to small hands.
- Taller beginners should seek out a wider bodied bass for better control of the playing position.
- At what age could anyone start playing bass?
- I currently have no bass pupils less than 11 years old.Even tiny basses need thick strings to make low notes, and I suspect little fingers cannot easily control them.
- I recommend that younger enthusiasts start on guitar.
Back to Bass Tuition